Hummingbird House is supported by an amazing team of volunteers who assist us in various facets of our service from administrative support, to housekeeping, to family and sibling support, to events. As a unique service, we undertake a thorough recruitment and selection process when inviting volunteers to join our team, which gives you the opportunity to get to know us, and us the opportunity to get to know you, which is essential to establishing the right fit.
Hummingbird House is currently inviting applications for volunteers.
Applicant’s must meet all of the criteria outlined below.
- Commit to one shift per week for a 12-month period.
- Attend a volunteer interview and volunteer training.
- Undertake an NDIS Worker Screening Check (a combination of the yellow and blue card system) and NDIS worker orientation.
- Provide evidence of immunisations for certain vaccine-preventable diseases as required by Queensland Health.*
*Hummingbird House volunteers are required to follow Queensland Health’s Workers in a Healthcare Setting (COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements) Direction.
Our current volunteer positions are based at Hummingbird House Brisbane, located in the bustling suburb of Chermside. Chermside is easily accessible via public transport, and has plenty of parking options for those who prefer to use private transport.
- Shifts available seven days a week
- Shift times vary between 7am-4pm
Love gardening? This could be the role for you! Our gardening volunteers are responsible for maintaining the indoor and outdoor gardens areas at Hummingbird House. Tasks includes weeding, pruning, watering the garden and raking. You don’t need to be a horticulturalist or landscaper to join our team. You simply need to love gardening and know the secrets tips and tricks to making a garden thrive. Volunteers in this role support guests and families by ensuring they have access to beautiful outdoor spaces at Hummingbird House Brisbane.
- Shifts available Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday
- Standard shift time 9am-2pm (some flexibility available)
Our housekeeping team works around the clock to make Hummingbird House feel warm and inviting, while meeting the strict infection control standards required for guests and families. Housekeeping volunteers support our team with simple daily housekeeping tasks such as wiping down furniture, emptying bins and cleaning frequently used areas like our dining and living rooms. This support allows our housekeeping team to focus on the bigger jobs around the house, like turning over guests and family suites and doing laundry.
In-house care support
- Shifts available seven days a week
- Standard shift times 9am-1pm, 1pm-5pm or 5pm-8pm (some flexibility available)
If you love people and are happy to channel your inner child, our in-house care support role maybe the right fit for you. This hands-on role provides non-clinical care and support for guests, siblings and families under the supervision of the clinical care team. This could include sorting out breakfast for a busy family so mum or dad can have a sleep in, entertaining siblings during their stay, or enjoying outdoor time with a guest while reading a book or listening to music. The primary purpose of the role is to support families to have a positive and restful stay at Hummingbird House. In-house care support volunteers also assist the team with general tasks around the House. This includes tidying and resetting communal areas such as our dining room, living room, arts and crafts space, teen retreat and back patio area.
- Shifts available seven days a week (excluding Tuesday)
- Standard shift time: 5pm-8pm
The kitchen assistant role is perfect for volunteers who feel at home in a kitchen and can create a clean and welcoming space for guests and families to gather over a meal. The primary purpose of the role is to oversee dinner time at the House, which includes warming and serving the delicious dinners prepared by our chefs, looking after guest and family needs, tidying the dining and kitchen areas, and resetting the breakfast bar for the morning after. Kitchen volunteers require an appreciation of the importance of cleanliness and hygiene involved with food preparation and handling. If your kitchen at home is clean and organised, we’d love to hear from you.
- Shift available Monday or Tuesday
- Standard shift time 9am-1pm or 1pm-4pm
This role is for the organizer with an eye for detail! Volunteers in this role are involved in meeting and greeting guests and families, supporting our front office team with reception and administration duties, receiving and coordinating deliveries, and filing a guest’s medical chart on discharge. Join the team that works behind the scenes to keep things running smooth at Hummingbird House.
Applications are now open for volunteers at Hummingbird House
How to apply
- To express your interest in joining our volunteer team please email firstname.lastname@example.org telling us a little bit about your experience and why you would like to volunteer with Hummingbird House.
- Applicant’s must meet all of the criteria outlined above, and clearly indicate the volunteer role, day, and shift time they are interested in.
- Applicants who submit an expression of interest will be emailed a formal application form.
- Please complete and return the application form to email@example.com by 31 August.
- Formal applications will be reviewed by a volunteer recruitment panel and shortlisted for the roles outlined.
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted via email by Friday 2 September and invited to attend a group interview at Hummingbird House on Tuesday 6 September, from 9am–12pm.
- Successful applicants will be notified via email by Wednesday 14 September and invited to attend compulsory training on Tuesday 20 September, from 4pm-6.30pm and Friday 23 September, from 9am-3pm.
- Applications open: Tuesday 16 August (email)
- Application forms due: Wednesday 31 August (email)
- Shortlisted applicants notified: Friday 2 September (email)
- Group interview: Tuesday 6 September, 9am-12pm (in person)*
- Successful applicants notified: Wednesday 14 September (email)
- Volunteer training: Tuesday 20 September, 4pm-6.30pm (in person)*
- Volunteer training: Friday 23 September, 9am-3pm (in person)*
*Group interviews and volunteer training are a compulsory requirement.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Hummingbird House. We look forward to hearing from you.