The COVID-19 pandemic has changed life as we know it, and like every Australian, we are adapting to the constant change not knowing what lies ahead. Below are some useful resources to help you navigate the current situation, while focussing on three important steps:
- Look after yourself, mentally and physically
- Follow the simple, yet potentially life saving measures we are being instructed to follow right now
- Get your facts from reliable and credible sources
Look after yourself and others
The World Health Organisation recommends the following tips to look after your physical and mental wellbeing during this time:
- Take care of your body by getting regular exercise, eating well balanced meals, staying well hydrated and getting enough sleep
- Make time to relax, unwind and be creative
- Spend time in nature
- Harness the power of technology to stay connected with people
- Take a break from the 24-7 news cycle
Source: World Health Organisation, 2020.
Here are some additional links that maybe helpful to you:
- Beyond Blue – Looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak
- Head to Health – Mental health and COVID-19 support
- myCompass – A personalised self-help tool for your mental health
Speaking with your child about COVID-19
Many parents are looking for advice on how to best support their children during this time. With the situation constantly changing and many children unable to continue with their normal activities, it is a very unsettling time for families. The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne recommends the following steps for parents and carers:
- Be open and honest, but age-appropriate
- Stay positive and hopeful
- Focus on the things children can control
- Stick to routines where possible
- Show your children that you are calm
- Look out for signs of anxiety or stress in your children
- Limit information children get through the media
- Look after yourself
Source: The Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne, 2020.
Here are some additional links for parents and carers:
- UNICEF – Tips for parenting during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: Ideas to help parents and caregivers do the most important job in the world.
- Counselor Keri: Resources to spark student growth – Helping kids who are worried about coronavirus. This website includes the following video, that maybe helpful for older kids to understand the current situation.
Help stop the spread of the virus
Here are 5 simple and effective ways to stop the spread of COVD-19:
- Clean your hands regularly with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rubs
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or bent elbow when coughing or sneezing
- Avoid touching your face, nose and mouth. And avoid shaking hands
- Stay home if you are unwell
- Practice social distancing, which includes staying 1.5m away from others as much as you can
Source: Queensland Health, 2020.
Get the facts
It’s important to get information from credible and reliable sources at this time, as the wrong information can lead to stress, confusion and people not taking the right steps to curb the spread of COVID-19. We recommend the following websites for families wanting to know more:
- Australian Government Department of Health – The latest information about how Australia has been affected and what measures we are taking in response to COVID-19.
- Queensland Health – The latest information for Queenslanders.
- World Health Organisation – The most up to date global information about COVID-19.
We understand that these are uncertain times, and that many of you already experience an increased sense of social isolation from family and friends, which may increase in response to the preventative measures being rolled out right now. Please know that you are not alone. We are here for you. And we encourage you to reach out to us if you need support, whether it be practical or emotional.
If you have any questions about how our services are being delivered during this time please contact us on 07 3621 4364 or email firstname.lastname@example.org